So in order to help me archive the events leading up to our wedding, as well as to entertain those with too much time on their hands - I'm attempting to create a blog. (Thank you Jen!)
I'll start with the engagement, because without that there would be no blog in the first place!
So Aaron and I recently went on the most amazing trip through Europe (some of you may have even followed our travel blog!). I'm not going to lie, I was a little disappointed when I'd returned from this trip and had no ring on my finger. So when our eight year anniversary was approaching, I crossed my fingers and thought just maybe he'd do it then, knowing that my favorite number is 8. Like the majority of our anniversaries, we didn't plan anything too over the top. We agreed that we wouldn't buy anything for eachother and instead would go for a nice dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, Cielos.
Our anniversary is October 19th, which was a Wednesday this year. Wednesday's are not the best day for the two of us. Aaron works all day, while I work all night; so we don't usually see eachother until about 10:30pm. We planned a Tuesday evening dinner, and Aaron had the great idea of going out for breakfast Wednesday morning so we could atleast do somthing on our actual anniversary day.
I feel like I've been very patient waiting for Aaron to propose. I've always known it would happen at some point, and didn't want to over analyze it too much. People would always ask us when it was going to happen, and I would shrug it off saying things like we're extremely happy together and it'll happen when it happens. Since we've been together so long, I knew it wouldn't change our relationship; in reality I just wanted a sparkly ring!
Not wanting to over think our anniversary, and think about whether it would or would not happen, I kept myself pretty busy. I had a massive list of to-dos and managed to get them all done (except wash my car - which is needed since Aaron kindly wrote "I'm a Dirty Girl" on the side of it!). I met up with Rhianna and Vanessa at Boston Pizza, and we had a nice long late lunch before I returned home. Aaron was already off work and home, so we both got ready before calling a taxi to take us down to the beach.
It was great, Aaron even made reservations, and had requested to be seated in a quite corner. We looked fabulous, me in a new BCBG dress (with a belt that made it a little hard to breath!), and him in his green button up shirt. We ordered some of our favourites, including the brushetta of course, and a bottle of wine. As the night progressed, I began feeling like tonight wasn't going to be the night. A little disappointed, I'll admit I grilled into Aaron a bit. "Really!! It's not going to happen! When?! The next special occasion isn't until Christmas or my birthday!" He responded with comments like: "Well I think I've found the right person to do the ring now." Which I then countered with "You don't even have the ring done yet?!"
I didn't stew about it too long and we enjoyed the remainder of the evening. He tricked me a little while we were eating dessert "...maybe it's in the dessert..." I gave a little chuckle realizing he's most likely joking but had to chop up the mousse a little bit with my spoon just to be certain ... nope it wasn't in there. I began accepting the fact that it'll most likely be Christmas time, even dreamnt that night that he'd hide it in a massive box just to be tricky.
The next morning was the usual scenario, the alarm clock went off and we hit snooze. Aaron got up after the next one while I stayed in bed just a little longer. I contemplated whether or not I really wanted to get up or continue sleeping, then I thought, no - this was such a thoughtful idea of Bradford's and I could come back home and sleep afterwards anyways. So I got myself up, contemplated PJ's or respectable attire, make up or no make up. Given it was our anniversary I put some skinny jeans on and a little bit of eyeshadow. Aaron wanted to walk along the pier at some point since we'd done it last year on our anniversary, so kindly he made us some hot coffee and off we went at 8am.
We hit nearly every stop light on our way down to the beach. When we got there, I'd thought Aaron would want to walk the pier after breakfast (since generally as soon as he gets up... he needs to eat!) but he surprised me wanting to go before. It was the perfect October morning. The Sun was out, there was a very light fog, not too cold but still a little crisp. He was acting a little odd as we started walking, but not overly to really notice. A little quite and slightly spacey.
We hit about midway down when he said "Why don't we stop and admire the view". I thought this is at a weird spot, we could do that at the end of the pier but sure why not! At that point he told me "Now I know we said we wouldn't buy anything for our anniversary, so I wrote you something instead". I could feel my heart warm and my eyes begin to get misty; but I wanted to keep it together just incase he did just write something and it would be like in "The Office" when Jim pretended to propose but instead tied his shoe instead.
He continued, "Eight years ago, we were sitting on your parents couch when I asked you to be my girlfriend." My brain and heart felt like it was going a mile a minute trying to comprehend what was occuring. He said the most beautiful, romantic and perfect things; I couldn't have imagined it better. I had to stop and aww at points, I had to wipe away tears (he knows me too well and even had tissues ready for me!), and it made me so happy to see his eyes tear up a bit too. I couldn't believe it was happening until I saw the ring (It's beautiful by the way!). He pulled it out from his jacket, and got down onto his knee and proposed. I've never felt so overwhelmly happy in my entire life. Of course I said yes - I actually have no idea what I said or did at that moment because I was so stunned and caught up in everything going on.
The proposal was perfect, and shockingly - completely unexpected! As much as I dreamnt of the moment, I never imagined it happening in the morning! I can't believe I didn't suspect it considering it would be the exact day of our anniversary, but I honestly didn't. It just never occured to me, especially considering he'd be off to work after breakfast and then myself a bit later. This made it so special to me; to be able to be caught off guard.
The butterflies started in my stomach and I couldn't wait to spread the news. We continued to walk down the pier when it dawned on me. My boyfriend got me the most beautiful ring and organized the most special proposal for me on our anniversary... and all I got him was a $12 book of Jimmy Fallon's Thank You Notes (which contains notes such as: "Thank you... professional bowlers, for basically saying, “I want to be a professional athlete, but I still want to be able to have hot dogs for breakfast.” ".
Aaron's gift: "Will you marry me"
My gift "Thank you".
Well that's the story. We got to celebrate later with Aaron's family, who were also wishfully crossing their fingers for an engagement. Allison called Carmen at 8:00 Wednesday morning to find out if Aaron had done it the night before, was checking facebook to see if any updates were made and even bought champagne. Carmen spent her day cooking an amazing meal and bought a cake hoping to celebrate an announcement. Luckily, Aaron didn't disappoint (I would have hated to be at that dinner if he didn't do it!).
Check out the view - what a beautiful day it was:
If you made it this far through this post - good for you! There's more to share, but I figure this post has been long enough as is! Cheers to 8 years! The best number of all!
I love this story. Definite eye-mistage going on here. Love you both :)
ReplyDelete