Wedding Countdown Ticker

Tuesday, 25 October 2011

If I can only make the budget fit!

Today' a very exciting day! I get to go bride dress shopping for Steph's wedding!!! I went to her place earlier in the day and we searched through our bridal magazines and did a little bit more organizing together.  I realized finding a venue will probably be not that fun of a job.  For those of you who know me well, you know that I'm an extremely unobservant person! Not one to look for the details all the time, trying to figure out places I've been to or heard about to check prices isn't coming easily.  I've printed out a rather large list of Vancouver mainland venues and will start randomly choosing places and researching cost.  This would all be fine and dandy if I thought I had a long time to book a venue, but with the wedding potentially being as early as May and as late as September - I'm running out of days!

Next on the to-do I started looking into photographers.  This helped open my eyes to the potential cost of this whole wedding.  I figured wedding photos, I think with $2000 I should be able to get everything - seems like a lot to be more a day of work.  Apparently not! $1000 is on the low end with closer to $6000/7000 on the high end! Not only that but on average I found $2500-3000 to be the lowest available package.  These prices aren't looking good for the super stingy budget I was hoping to keep this wedding on.  I realize photos are extremely important, especially in maintaining the memories of this one special day.  But I mean some of these prices are 1/5 of my entire budget I was hoping to stick to!!

This all led me to look into creating the budget.  While I have a number in my head I'd like to do it in, I still hadn't worked out all the details and how much I'm planning on appointing to each item.  I got this work page that informed me that 50% of the budget should go towards the reception, 10% attire, 10% flowers, 10% music, 10% photography, and the remaining 10% to favours, stationary and other.  So I started calculating my totals to each section so I could see the numbers --- I don't think my budget is going to go very far! Either time to create a new budget, or time to start thinking reallllyy small with this wedding!

Needing to take a break from number crunching, I decided to start calculating some numbers for the actual guest list.  So Aaron and I are hoping to keep this wedding at max 150, preferably closer to 100 people.  I began to list out all the family that would be a must to invite.  Shouldn't have started with my side.  Ended up with a list of 27 - just in family.  Aaron was up next, 17, not too bad! But bringing both those numbers together = 44 - already nearly halfway to that 100 people mark.  Aaron also informed me just this morning it's looking like about 35 people for friends of his, and that's not looking into spouses.  So really already nearly there at that grand total of 100.  Yikes, creating this guest list won't be as easy as I thought it'd be.

So to change to a more fun part of planning a wedding, Steph and I are a few minutes away from leaving to go dress shopping! So exciting, got all my sheets ready to take notes of all the dresses she tries on!  Of course, very pretty and personalized sheets! Why do anything plain and ordinary! --(Hmm not sure that's the right attitude for my low cost wedding!!! Oh geez, I feel this whole thing will constantly be a battle and a half; always fighting with myself to do things just a little better!).

Then after dress shopping.. Aaron and I are having our engagement party with our families! So exciting! Anyways, time to go!! I'm sure next post you hear will be about both the last two things on this blog!)


No comments:

Post a Comment